Monday, December 27, 2010

Prince of Peace in Many Ways than One

Shortly before Christmas I wanted to emphasize Jesus as the Prince of Peace and used http://www.biblegateway.com/ for scripture references. The results included:

Isaiah 9:6
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.
Isaiah 9:5-7 (in Context) Isaiah 9 (Whole Chapter)

Matthew 5:9
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
Matthew 5:8-10 (in Context) Matthew 5 (Whole Chapter)

Luke 2:14
“Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”
Luke 2:13-15 (in Context) Luke 2 (Whole Chapter)

John 14:27
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
John 14:26-28 (in Context) John 14 (Whole Chapter)

John 16:33
“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
John 16:32-33 (in Context) John 16 (Whole Chapter)
Bible Gateway also brought the following two passages to mind, and that brought on further study, thought, and prayer:

Matthew 10:34
“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.
Matthew 10:33-35 (in Context) Matthew 10 (Whole Chapter)

Luke 12:51
Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division.
Luke 12:50-52 (in Context) Luke 12 (Whole Chapter)

Very troubling, isn't it?  Does it contradict  Jesus's mission, message, or His nature? 

When I Googled  Matthew 10:34, one of the top page references was Wikipedia.  I use it a lot in a variety of questions, and never thought about using it for Bible verses. Wiki pages are constantly being updated by the host of volunteers with comments and arguments.  There are no final answers with Wiki, and that is as it should be.  We must always search and seek.

The two passages call for more than short answers, but I recommend two links to get you started:

Matthew 10:34

Luke 12:51


I would very much appreciate your comments on these troubling verses.

William A. Ricks
http://billricksofsoperton.blogspot.com 
Thanks for subscribing to  'Bill Ricks of Soperton'
Once a day delivery to your email box.
See middle box at bottom of the blog.


No comments: