Sunday, November 1, 2009

Eating Healthy at KFC

Ever since I went to Charleston I've been on a very strict diet of a limit of 50 grams of fat per day. That's equivalent to two spoons of mayonnaise.

When I heard about KFC's new grilled chicken I was thrilled to find a low fat option on the menu. Then I saw the TV commercial with a juicy, shiny, sizzling surface. "That's got to be oil on there," I thought and rejected KGC (Kentucky Grilled Chicken). Even ignored the free sample on Monday recently.

Today I looked up the KFC nutritional chart and found that the grilled chicken breast has just 4 grams of total fat. Now that's really great!

You see, other KFC chicken breasts are too fat for me. Well, I could eat one and do without eating anything else that day. Original Recipe: 21 grams of fat. Extra Crispy: 31 grams of fat. Hot & Spicy: 28 grams of fat. Even Popcorn Chicken for Kids contains 19 grams of fat.

Watch out with the salads, too. A pack of Creamy Parmesan Caesar Dressing has 26 grams of fat.  The lighter option is Hidden Valley fat free ranch dressing with absolutely no fat. That's what I use at home, and it is delicious!

THE BEST NEWS OF ALL ABOUT KFC:
An original recipe chicken breast with skin and breading removed contains only 2 grams of fat, half that of the grilled. That's going to be my choice!

Enjoy your KFC! Check their nutrition chart at:
http://www.kfc.com/nutrition/pdf/kfc_nutrition_sept09.pdf

William A. Ricks

INFORMATION ABOUT OTHER GRILLED CHICKEN CHOICES:
Grilled chicken sandwich with chicken, bun, lettuce, tomato, but NO mayonnaise.
Wendy's is the lightest in fat at 3.5 grams. Burger King, McDonalds, Dairy Queen are slightly fatter, but still less fat than hamburger.
Try asking for the chicken in separate container and pat dry with napkins.

Addendum posted Nov. 2, 2009
WAR

No comments: