Friday, January 19, 2007

Yes, You Can Raed Tihs

Don't delete this just because it looks weird. Believe it or not, you can read it.

I cdnuolt blveiee that I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd what I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervti sy, it deosn't mttaer in what oredr the ltteers in a word are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is that the first and last ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?

The above is one of the more interesting things I've found on internet lately.

It has been another stressful week. The car is still with the body man, and The Sign Man has been driving me to the absolutley essential places. Lucky that my house is less than two blocks from the office.

A few years back - quite a few, really - the retail business started moving to the other side of the creek. I'm not sure which was first but Kathy's Beauty Salon and the old E-Z Way Center have been there a long time. Waller's feed mile and osmose treating gave way to the Ricks Food Center which became the Ford dealership and then Mason's Auto Parts. Waller's gin and warehouse were demolished and eventually the Piglet Shopping Center replaced it. Farmers Furniture left its downtown location, the first store of the entire chain, and for over 30 years it has been on the north side of the creek. The Bank of Soperton celebrated its 100th anniversary by moving, in 2003, to the new building across the creek.

It's quite a walk - at least a half mile - from downtown to the new business district. Several times I debated this week whether to eat a cold ham sandwich at home or journey across the creek for a hot Subway or some Chinese. Since Reggie and Barbara retired, the downtown pickin's for lunch are slim. Dairy Queen is okay, and some of the convenience stores have pizza and fried chicken. I usually go to lunch about 1 pm, so it was a surprise when, on the one day that I chose the convenience store, they were already out of chicken.

I finally made it to the VA in Dublin for monthly labs, a week late. Then forgot to sign the privacy release so the reports could be faxed to the doctors. At least I got a real meal. Instead of my usual Junior, I got the full size Whopper with large fries and diet Coke. After filling up and hanging around veterans, I skipped the VFW meeting that night. It's just as well; they were having burgers.

The Sign Man has been busy, but I forgot to copy them down. City Clerk Becky Hooks was congratulated on her birthday. Crow-Mart had a few days of sales, including mattresses and the honeymoon special. Robert E. Lee was recognized on his 200th birthday with a Georgia notation of his having led the construction of Fort Pulaski.

On the sign at this moment:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MISTY JACKSON. JAN 21. WE LOVE U - TYSON.

RELAY FOR LIFE. CHILI KICK OFF. JAN 20 3 PM. SUBWAY PARKING LOT.

No comments: