Saturday, December 16, 2006

The Sidewalk Gallery



Today's Signs:
TODAY
TELL SOMEONE
U
LOVE THEM

JESUS
THE GREATEST GIFT
OF
ALL

(I haven't learned how to center stuff on the blogger, but the letters of the bottom sign are in the shape of a cross.)

So that I will spend less time watching TV and more time on my photos, I've undertaken to select a photo for each week - not today's photos but those that are exactly 30 years old. I made pictures earlier and later than 1976-77, but 3 decades seemed just right. While I was scanning today, "Back to the Future" was playing on one of the satellite channels. When Dr. Brown said that he would be traveling into the future 30 years, I knew that he was confirming my choice.

I'm calling it Sidewalk Gallery, because the photos can also be enjoyed from a physical sidewalk.
The first entry is the first week of December 1976:
Main Street, showing Byrd's Fina Station (now demolished), a service station operated in the 50's by R. R. Duke. Uncle Arlington Youngblood used to hang out there, and he was a character.
The Santa-face street decorations were used for many years. Taken at dusk on a rainy day.

No comments: