Tuesday, December 26, 2006

You're in Iraq?

Coincidentally during my auto accident a few days ago the Sign Man called my cell phone. I told him I was busy; I'm in a wreck. A day or two later he said that he never understood what I meant. "I thought you said your were in Iraq."

The latest signs by the Sign Man:

PINELAND CIRCLE HAS NEW SIGNS/STRIPES. GO LOOK.

HIGH WINDS NEAR WILDWOOD LAKE EARLY MON.

HERSHEL HALL IS 65 TODAY OR IS IT 75?

BIG SALE COMING AT CROW-MART.

In retrospect on my words about hypocrites, I should have simply quoted Mark Twain's "Huckleberry Finn". Remember Huck's old aunt, when she was admonishing him about going to Hell if he didn't change. She assured him that she was going to Heaven. Huck allowed that if she was going to be there, he preferred the other place.

Huck was also concerned about his friendship with the black slave Jim, and what the preachers were saying about slavery. Huck pondered on it and concluded, "I'll just go to Hell."

No comments: