Thursday, February 24, 2011

1981 TPS Program


81 0225 06
February 25, 1981

I must have made at least one picture of everybody who passed through the school system during the years I was working with the Soperton News, because each Primary School class had a program each year.  Most of the time we concentrated on the students on stage, but this rare time we shot part of the crowd, and some of the children were more interested in the photographer than what was happening on stage. So a lot of full-grown 35 year old "children" still call me "Picture Man".  I've been rather lazy about identifying each class, simply recording the shots as "TPS program".

Others that week: Basketball, state welcome center personnel at our center, big squash, Charles Zeigler with Mr. Glisson in ag class, top conservationists, Dr. McNair, Nursing Home residents Edward Love, Mae Ella Shurling, Chester Sumner, TES Semester Honor Roll group and individual, Pharis Jenning with Mary Ann Hutcheson, Bill Clontz, Dale Hooks, Danny Shepherd with steer.


William A. Ricks
http://billricksofsoperton.blogspot.com 
Thanks for subscribing to  'Bill Ricks of Soperton' 
Photo files at http://picasaweb.google.com/W.A.Ricks/

2 comments:

Chuck Hutcheson said...

My brother might have been in that program. He would have been in the second grade in 1981. I was two years ahead of him in school, so I remember being in programs there around 78-79. Do they still use that auditorium for anything?

BillRicksofSoperton said...

Oh yes it is used. It has been fixed up a bit, air conditioned, and is a great place for concerts. Wish we had more of them. It's the Dicy Kate Gillis Auditorium, named for my second grade teacher, Miss Phillips, who married "Mr. Jim" Gillis after his first wife died. She was TPS principal for many years. I still remember her as my favorite teacher.
Bill